We stayed over at our friend Prafulla’s house one weekend and awoke to this delicious aroma wafting from the kitchen. Cinnamon, apples….was that really apple pie for breakfast?? Instead we were greeted by an oversized and very fluffy pancake baked with apple slices and drizzled with Maple syrup. And while it was not apple pie, we werw not disappointed.
This delicious and yet, simple and quick but so special breakfast has become my go to and it was great to see both my dad and Nilesh enjoy it on this Father’s day weekend.
I highly recommend this. It comes together so quickly and you will be asking yourself why you want to make individual American pancakes when this one is so easy and quick!
Prep time: 10 minutes. Cook time:20 minutes
- 2 large apples (honeycrisp or gala) – peeled or unpeeled, cored and thinly slices
- 4 eggs
- 3/4 cup flour (no need to sift)
- 3/4 cup buttermilk (or regular milk)
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/4 cup brown sugar (or regular)
- A pinch of salt
- 1 tsp cinnamon powder(or per taste)
- For serving: Optional: Maple syrup to drizzle and confectioners sugar for dusting
- Heat the oven to 400 degrees Farenheit
- Take two 9-inch round cake pans and grease evenly with butter
- In a mixing bowl, beat the eggs, buttermilk, flour, salt, sugar, and half the cinnamon powder
- Layer the apple slices on the bottom of each pan
- Pour the mix into the two cake pans distributing evenly between the pans
- Sprinkle remaining cinnamon powder over each pan
- Put pans in the oven
- Bake uncovered until puffed and golden brown about 20 – 22 minutes
- Drizzle maple syrup and dust confectioners sugar