Almost every summer growing up, we took the train to visit my grandparents in Goa. Often, that trip was made along with other family friends or relatives. The best part of the almost 3-day journey, was the food. Chutney sandwiches, patties, potato chops, cutlets, meatloaf sandwiches, a veritable feast. Now, we enjoy meatloaf sandwiches for picnics, school lunches, and road-trips. Quick and easy to make, it’s good to have on hand. You can refrigerate it or freeze it for a month and use when needed. See the serving options below the recipe for the different ways you can enjoy this!
- 1 lb Ground Turkey (my mom used beef so that’s an option too)
- 1/2 lb Pork Bacon (minced or diced finely)
- 2 Eggs
- 2 slices Bread (soak in water and squeeze dry)
- 1 tsp Mustard powder (or use Dijon Mustard – 1 tbsp)
- 1 tsp Black Pepper powder
- 2 tbsp Worcestershire sauces
- 2 tbsp Ketchup or hot sauce
- Juice of 2 limes
- 1 tbsp Salt
- 1 tsp red food color (optional, I’ve avoided it)
- 1/2 tsp or less Butter
- Use the butter to grease a small pan that can be used in a pressure cooker
- Beat the two eggs
- Mix the eggs into ground turkey, along with all the other ingredients, except the butter. Be careful not to over-mix the meat, which can result in a tougher loaf.
- Transfer the mix into the greased pan
- Place the pan in the pressure-cooker and pressure cook it for 15 minutes with a slow release thereafter
- Make a sandwich. Butter the bread, spread some ketchup and mustard on the bread and add a layer or two of the meatloaf
- Cut the meatloaf into small squares, dip in egg, coat with flour and fry lightly and serve as an appetizer
- Dice a small red onion finely, along with 2-3 sprigs of cilantro. Add to 1 cup of mashed meatloaf, along with 2 tsp hot sauce (or to taste). Serve on crackers or toasted bread
Make Ahead Instructions:
You can make meatloaf one day in advance and store it the fridge (uncooked) in a well sealed container.
To freeze meatloaf:
Place uncooked meatloaf in a loaf pan or freezer safe container and cover well. Freeze for up to 3 months. Thaw the meatloaf in the fridge overnight, and then cook as directed.