This spicy, gochujang tofu recipe will have you craving for more. Not only is it flavorful, combine that with brown rice, steamed vegetables like broccoli or bok choy, and you have a healthy, vegan meal on your table in under 45 minutes.
Why Tofu? Tofu has a range of benefits – it’s a great add to an anti-inflammatory diet while providing a good amount of protein. But it can be bland. Adding some soya sauce and gochujang certainly ups the game! What’s gochujang? Gochujang is a fundamental ingredient in Korean cooking. It’s a thick and spicy-sweet dark red paste made from red chili peppers, and fermented soybeans. If you don’t have it handy, a little Thai chili paste or sriracha combined with a dash of soya sauce and sugar will serve as a substitute.
Servings: 4 Prep time: 10 minutes Cook time: 25 minutes
- 14 oz package firm Tofu (sliced into cubes)
- 2 tbsp dark soya sauce or tamari
- 1 tbsp cornstarch
- 2 tbsp gochujang (or 1.5 tbsp sriracha, mixed with 1 tbsp ketchup, 1/2 tsp soya sauce and 1/2 tsp sugar)
- 1 tsp brown sugar
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 green onions (chopped)
- 2 cloves garlic (finely minced)
- 1 tsp ginger (finely minced)
- 2 tbsp Oil (plus spray if baking) – sesame, vegetable or olive oil
- Optional: 1-2 tsp toasted sesame seeds
- Drain water from the package of tofu. Press down gently on the tofu to remove as much water as possible
- Slice the block of tofu into 1/2 inch planks and then into bite-sized cubes
- In a mixing bowl, combine1 tbsp of the soya sauce and the tablespoon of cornstarch. Add in the tofu cubes. Gently mix to combine.
- You can bake the tofu in the air-fryer or cook it on a stove top
- Air-fryer option: I used an air-fryer, a Ninja Foodi. Set the Foodi on air-crisp option to 400F. Heat the cooking basket for 3 minutes. Spray with oil to coat the bottom of dish and place tofu cubes in it. Spray the top of the tofu lightly. Air-fry the tofu for about 12 minutes until crispy.
- Stove-top option: Heat 2 tbsp of oil (sesame or olive or vegetable oil) in a pan, and when hot, add the tofu and cook over medium-high heat until golden brown
- While the tofu is baking in the air-fryer, or stove, mix the soya sauce, gochujang paste, brown sugar and water in a bowl until combined
- Heat the oil in a frying pan. Add the garlic and the whites of the chopped green onion
- Saute on medium heat for 2 minutes
- Add the sauce and cook for 2 minutes
- Add the cooked tofu to the sauce and stir gently. Cook for 2 minutes
- Remove from stove top
- Best served right away, garnished with the chopped green onions
- Tastes great served on a bed of rice and with a side of steamed broccoli or bok choy