Vegan, and deliciously flavorful, this tofu bowl is worth skipping takeout for.
Servings: 4 bowls
- 14 ounce package extra firm tofu
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 3 Tbsp toasted sesame oil
- 1/2 cup tamari (or soy sauce if not gluten-free)
- 1/4 cup rice vinegar
- 1 Tbsp garlic, finely minced
- 1 Tbsp ginger, grated
- 2 Tbsp ketchup
- 2 Tbsp maple syrup (optional)
- 1 Tbsp Sriracha hot sauce (optional if you don’t like it spicy)
- For the bowls
- 1 lb broccoli chopped and steamed
- 1 cup carrot sticks
- 1 red pepper, cut into thin slices
- 1/2 cup radish, cut into thin rounds and marinated in 2 tablespoons rice vinegar and 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 cup edamame, steamed
- 1 cup cucumber, chopped into small cubes or circles
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced
- 2 cups white or brown rice, cooked (optional)
- 2 tablespoons sesame seeds
- Spicy mayo sauce – combine 2 parts vegan mayo to 1 part sriracha.
- Drain the tofu by pressing down on it gently between two paper towels, to get rid of the liquid. Cut tofu into 2 x 1/4-inch slices and set aside and toss in a bowl with cornstarch.
- In a mixing bowl, mix the ingredients under the marinade list to create the marinade.
- Now gently add the tofu to the marinade, and stir gently to coat the tofu on all sides with the marinade. You can set it aside for 15 minutes or longer in the fridge.
- Add the sesame oil to a frying pan. When oil is hot, add the tofu and fry. Let the tofu cook for 2-3 minutes on each side until golden brown.
- Serve hot in bowls layered with rice (optional), vegetables, tofu and sprinkled with the sesame seeds. Drizzle with the spicy mayo sauce.