At the end of a busy work day, I am usually too drained to cook a meal. Given that we try to eat low sodium, healthy meals, I’m constantly trying to figure out meals that are quick and easy to put together (easy enough that Nilesh can put it together too ;-)). And the Santa Fe Chicken comes to the rescue – made with corn, black beans, peppers, tomatoes and seasonings – all pantry staples. Put it into the crock pot, and 4 hours later, you’ll have a good, healthy meal. I served it over Cilantro Lime Rice, topped with low fat cheese, Greek yogurt (a great alternative to sour cream), chopped scallions and cilantro – your family will love this and you’ll be making this again!
- 24 oz (1-1/2 lbs) chicken breast
- 14.5 oz can fire-roasted diced tomatoes
- 15 oz can black beans, rinsed and drained or cooked at home
- 8 oz frozen corn
- 14.5 oz can fat free chicken broth
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 poblano pepper, roasted and chopped (optional)
- 1 red pepper, chopped
- 4 scallions, chopped
- 6 fat garlic cloves, minced fine
- 1 medium onion, diced fine
- 2 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp red chili powder (or cayenne pepper powder), or to taste
- 1 tsp oil
- salt to taste
- Heat oil in a pan and add chopped onions and minced garlic. Saute for 3-4 minutes till the onions soften.
- Transfer this mixture to the slow cooker along with all the other ingredients.
- Combine chicken broth, tomatoes, beans, corn, cilantro, poblano pepper, red pepper, half the scallions, cumin, chili powder, and salt in the crock pot / Ninja Foodi/Instant Pot
- Season chicken breast with salt and lay on top.
- For Crock Pot: Cook on high for 4 hours.
- For Ninja Foodi: Cook with Slow Cook option on high for 4 hours
- For Instant Pot: Cook with High Pressure option for 25 mins – quick or natural release
- When cooked, remove chicken and shred
- Return chicken back to the Slow Cooker/ Foodi/ Instant Pot and stir
- Adjust seasonings to taste
- Serving hot over cilantro lime rice or with tortillas, with your favorite toppings