Hands down the juiciest turkey meatballs you can make. The secret to the moistness in these meatballs is a combination of yogurt, zucchini and bread. Try these, and you will think twice before buying store bought meatballs again. And it’s also a great way to sneak some veggies in!
Our family loves meatballs….in pasta, curry, Mediterranean bowls, a sub, or on its own, the possibilities are endless. It’s easy to make meatballs at home and freeze them. Turkey meatballs can be still juicy and delicious and most of all, lean and healthier than beef meatballs.
Prep time: 10 minutes. Cook time: 30 minutes
Servings: for 4 – 6;people
- 1.25 lbs 93% lean ground turkey
- 4 cloves garlic finely minced
- 1 small red onion finely diced
- 2 cups baby spinach (chopped)
- 1 tsp dried chili flakes (optional if you like it spicy)
- 1 cup grated zucchini, liquid squeezed out well
- 2 slices whole wheat bread, or gluten-free bread
- 1/4 cup Greek yogurt
- 1/4 cup seasoned whole wheat breadcrumbs, or gluten-free panko
- 1 large egg
- 1 tbsp fried oregano, chopped
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh mint, chopped
- 1 tsp kosher salt and fresh black pepper
- Olive oil cooking spray
- Preheat oven to 400 degree Fahrenheit.
- Spray olive oil on a sheet pan and set aside.
- Put the slices of bread in a bowl and cover the slices with water. Allow it to soak for about 1 minute. Discard the water and squeeze the water out from the bread. Crumble it a bit with your hands and add it to a mixing bowl.
- To the same mixing bowl, add in the rest of the ingredients seasoning with salt and pepper.
- Form balls (golf sized) with that mixture and arrange them on a sheet pan.
- Bake in the heated oven for 30 minutes or until meatballs are fully cooked.
- Then transfer to the top rack and turn on the broiler for 1-2 minutes or until the tops are boiled.
- Alternatively, in a skillet, add in a tablespoon of olive oil and heat on medium flame. When the oil is hot, add the meatballs and cook over low heat, until cooked through, turning halfway, for about 10-12 minutes or until cooked thoroughly.
- Serve them in a Mediterranean bowl with greens, feta, olives, couscous, and all the sauces you like. Alternatively, they taste great in pasta.